You can share a separate Vault. However, after the Vault has been assigned the new password ('encrypt the key') and disconnected for sharing, the separate password will be retained ONLY until the Vault is reconnected to the Vault folder. After the Vault is reconnected, it will have the original password and will be accessible to the user using only the login password.
Make your Vault ready for sharing:
- Mount your Vault(s) as Drive Letter(s) - On the Menu
Click on TOOLS > OPTIONS > LOCATIONS. Select Mount Location as Drive Letter. Close program and log in again to activate the change in settings;
- Enable Separate Vault Password - On the Menu click TOOLS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED and check the box to enable the separate vault password option;
- Prepare the Vault - Right click on the vault and click on PROPERTIES > SET VAULT PASSWORD (Note: proceed with care - if you give the recipient the wrong password after "Encrypting the key", they will not be able to open the vault and you will have to repeat the process and resend the vault);
- Disconnect the Vault - Highlight the Vault; on the Menu, click FILE > DISCONNECT VAULT;
To send the Vault choose one of the following methods:
Method #1 - Compress and Email the Vault
- Open Windows Explorer;
- Locate the Vault and right click on the Vault and compress the file to a ZIP folder;
- Create your email and copy, or drag and drop, the ZIP folder to attach it.
Method #2 - Share the vault in the cloud
- You can copy the disconnected Vault folder to a cloud location;
- In your cloud provider share the Vault with another DataVault user;
- The other DataVault user can access the designated vault and connect it to their existing vaults, opening it with the separate password;
- If you want to continue to use the Vault, you can reconnect it, using the Menu > FILE > Connect Existing Vault;
- Find the Vault located in the path Local Disk(C:)/Users/UserName;
- After sharing the Vault to another DataVault user and reconnecting the vault, the password will revert to the latest login password assigned to all vaults.