To create a new Secure Folder, open the program and click on "Add Secure Folder" in the left menu. Then follow the Secure Folder Wizard which will help you set-up a new folder or add an existing one.
You can create Secure Folders in virtually any location, on any connected device, without installing the software in all those locations.
Local Secure Folders
For example, if you have the app installed on your Windows 10 Desktop, you can connect a storage drive (external SSD for example) and create a Secure Folder on that drive. If you connect that drive to your licensed laptop, you can run the app on the laptop and access that storage vault and add/edit files in the vault.
If you have two drives on your desktop computer, you can install the software on the C: drive and then create a Secure Folder on any internal drive.
Cloud Secure Folders
You can also create Secure Folders in the cloud and access those Secure Folders with the software from any licensed computer that has access to your cloud account folders (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox).
Follow the steps below:
- Start DataVault on your computer and log in;
- Click on "Add Secure Folder" in the left menu;
- On the dialog window, name the new Secure Folder and navigate to your online cloud folder, to save it;
- If you are using Mac, in the dialog window, to select a location for the cloud Secure Folder , name the Secure Folder and click on the down arrow; then navigate to the cloud location and create a new folder, then save the Secure Folder;
- The new Secure Folder located in the cloud will appear in the encryption pane;
Your cloud Secure Folder will be accessible when you launch DataVault on your computer and login. The Secure Folder will also be accessible from your licensed flash drive, either from your computer or from any other computer when you launch DataVault, provided that you can reach your cloud folder from that computer.
With regard to security, even if someone should somehow gain access to your cloud account folders, they would not be able to access the files in the cloud vault folder, because the files are encrypted.